10 September 2006

My first adult party, in two parts

So last night I had a get together at my place. I'd say party but it wasn't heaps of people, nothing got broken, the cops weren't called, and when I went to bed, the house was still clean. Oh wait, I guess that makes it an adult party. I have two things to say about it.

My sister and her babies were supposed to come. I'd planned the party two months ago and she RSVP'd right away that she'd come. I was so excited, I kept telling everyone that the babies were coming to my house (I get way more excited to see them than her, although, in the three years I've lived in this city, NO ONE from my family has ever come to visit, and that was exciting too). I even baby proofed the apartment, swept and vaccuumed all the floors so little hands and knees would not get dirty, and bought special juice for babies, food for my older nephew, and Cokes for my sister. The party started at 5. At 4, when I hadn't heard from her, I called. She bailed on me. I was so hurt and angry I didn't even try to guilt trip her, and honestly, that's not my thing. But I was just so upset. I'm still upset. The one time I ask her to visit, that she says she will, that I'm excited for, and she stands me up, at the last minute. And I have a sneaking suspicion she never planned to come.

I made food, and had people bring food and drink. I made jerk chicken, curry chicken, salmon balls, tuna balls, set out wasabi peas... I am a foodie. I love food, I love trying new things, I love cooking and experimenting, and I love to cook for other people. One of the married couples that came, who are very good friends of mine, and whose vow renewal ceremony I am performing next weekend, were originally supposed to bring their son, who is the same age as my older nephew, so I bought a frozen pizza for the two of them to share. Upon arriving and having their first drink, the wife asked me what kind of pizza I had bought, then asked if I would mind making it for them? In truth, I didn't care, so I cooked it up, but the more I thought about it, the more I was slightly put off. After all, I had gone to considerable effort to put together the food I had, and I can't lie, my jerk chicken is world famous. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was par for the course - this lady fries up spam and eats it on a regular basis, and their beer of choice is Bud Light. Still, it was a bit... bothersome.

But those two things aside, it was a successful party, I got liquor and wine out of the deal as well as some snacks and cheeses, and finally had friends over to see my apartment. I like having people over. When are you coming over, internet? I can make you some jerk chicken.

7 comments:

mellowlee said...

Mmm the jerk chicken sounds FABULOUS. Fried spam, NOT ewwwww!

gizmorox said...

Mmm fried Spam...

Ok just kidding.

I'm coming in the beginning of November, I'll bring the booze, you can make the jerk chicken :)

Tippy said...

Lee: It IS fabulous! I want it right now! And I've tried fried spam... um. Ew.

Tippy said...

Benna: BRING IT!

chelene said...

Jerk chicken is awesome. Can you put some in an envelope and mail it over to me?

Aeroplanic said...

Dude I'm not even a meat eater and the description of all that made me SALIVATE.

And kick your sister's ass from me. In fact, I'm coming down right now so we can gang kick her. Then you'll cook me some veggie vittles and we'll have margaritas and fall asleep on the beach.

Tippy said...

Chelene: um. right on that. will a padded envelop work?!

Tater: Mmmmm, margaritas. I'll make a veggie hash! I bet I could do a wicked tofu jerk....