13 November 2006

All adding up

Let's review.

  • April 2006 - my stepsister died of complications from Hep C. She was 50.
  • May 2006 - my daddy died of heart failure. He was 64.
  • June 2006 - I had my 2nd spinal surgery.
  • June 2006 - my best friend's daddy died.
  • October 2006 - my step-grandfather died of complications from Alzheimer's.
  • November 2006 - my boss' wife died of brain cancer. She was 50.
My sister told me today that tomorrow, Mom goes back to the doctor for her yearly breast cancer check up, just to make sure it hasn't returned. She also is getting another MRI (x-ray?) of her lungs, because of a spot they found last year that they want to be sure it hasn't grown.

My sister is also getting migraines daily, the kind that are so severe that she throws up. I get those, albeit rarely. She's tried 6 different migraine medications and also regular prescription painkillers. Nothing is working and her doctors are baffled. She's terrified to go to the doctor for fear of them actually finding something that would require brain surgery, or more. "(Friend's dad) had 2 brain surgeries, and he's never been the same since - he walks funny, he talks very slow now, and he always seems to lose whatever thought he had. I don't want to be like that."

My boss' wife went to the ER 2 months ago with severe headaches that no painkiller could remedy.

To say I'm nervous and worried is kind of an understatement.

On top of which, Mom doesn't seem to be in adverse health really, nothing out of the ordinary, yet sister is already starting to discuss how things will be divided up, and reminding me that I'll have to move in with them if it happens (which I will... my sister will fall to pieces when Mom dies, that's a given, she'll need someone there to take care of her and the kids, and yeah I know she's married but this is one thing I don't think her hubby can handle).

How and why did everything start falling apart? Why are so many people around me dying? And when is enough enough?

No comments: